Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. Announcements for upcoming meetings with joining information and precise time are sent to the mailing list and tracked on the team calendar.

13 February 2024

Recording: https://zoom.us/rec/share/Xpizk50h4N68GT4_KZ2Eg2-8uneQg2otqbM0pRhKjQdUh60OtwX6SCiq0eBbXls.QOU5RQdTWd3N_sim

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Julia Kriesh (openSUSE)
  • Daniel Horak (Fedora)
  • Marcela Maslanova (SUSE)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • Gayathri Berki (Debian)

Agenda

  • Ingress-nginx issue: https://github.com/kubernetes/ingress-nginx/issues/10498
  • Sarah received some feedback at IBM TechXchange that there’s a performance kernel bug, she shared that Ruediger is aware of a bug in the kernel that’s causing some slowness, but we don’t have a bug link handy.
  • Elizabeth brought up the fact that BountySource is gone, so IBM no longer has a payment mechanism for one-off bug solving contributors. If anyone knows of other programs that exist, please let us know. Sarah mentioned German Unix User Group (GUUG) does some sponsorship, but David shared that it’s likely not a great fit due the format of the program, we’re looking for a way to post bugs to the community and allow developers to select them.
  • Ulrich committed and merged s390x support (today!) for support for the LLVM Linker discussed at the last meeting: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/fe3406e349884e4ef61480dd0607f1e237102c74

9 January 2024

Recording: https://zoom.us/rec/share/LFPp63uwWotGO_qrHTxgurVXmlEQcpPIen5YmdK31zXOt7Xzpf57v0L5s6mqR9Ha.3m3GSvepTZaiR5Ix

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • Daniel Horak (Fedora)
  • Marcela Maslanova (SUSE)

Agenda

  • Is follow-up needed re: kubernetes/ingress-nginx potential removal? https://github.com/kubernetes/ingress-nginx/issues/10498
    • The project was granted a long-lived IBM LinuxONE Open Source Program VM in early January
  • Gtk4, librsvg removal risk via GNOME, Debian https://lists.openmainframeproject.org/g/wg-linux-distros/message/156
    • Ulrich noted that the Debian team IBM has in India is working on this and they discovered that between version 140 and 142 something broke big Endian in pixel processing, the images that come out are wrong
    • At this point, the problem is identified, it’s just complicated, and the fix may be a few dependencies down
  • unicorn https://lists.openmainframeproject.org/g/wg-linux-distros/message/157
    • Sarah Julia was able to recreate the issue before Christmas, Ulrich’s team was also looking into it and feels like the solution should be fairly straightforward
  • Should we have a ticketing system to manage items brought up on the mailing list, and at meetings?
    • Agreed: Not at this stage, everything we’re working on is already tracked in tickets upstream, and easy to keep track of via mailing list and meetings
  • Ulrich shared some LLD (LLVM Linker) support for s390x has been submitted as a patch, so anything depending upon it should start working once that lands: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/75643
  • Elizabeth brought up https://gitlab.gnome.org/jrb/crosswords/-/issues/118 as a lower priority issue, but one that may be easier for us to fix due to expertise in the area and would demonstrate some good will in the community

14 November 2023

Recording: https://zoom.us/rec/share/ySBYiTZDDVdkjKD1Izoq8iZh37VtroV3yWuOPtSX_RCI-ZlXkKBgtxXMRgnvMeml.RaiHBFb87I9Dsohs

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Daniel Horak (Fedora)
  • Berthold Gunreben (GSE Linux and z/VM Working Group)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)

Agenda

10 October 2023

Recording: https://zoom.us/rec/share/99VudDAVtpm_0ixI7TjwlEuiJ-3rG-AV3lKwQj5jVLzSkmqllcCd6j3_cfw8Ry7_.1jwJW6Zv6Psos9S_

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Daniel Horak (Fedora)
  • Neil Hanlon (Rocky Linux)

  • Jijo George (IBM Tessia Project)

  • Berthold Gunreben (GSE Linux and z/VM Working Group)

Agenda

  • Elizabeth and Sarah gave 1 talk about openQA in the SDLC of Linux Distributions as part of the OMS and spoke together in a Panel Discussion about Open Source (from zowe to ansible) at the IBM TechXChange 2023
  • z/VM and Linux Working Group at GSE

           - Newcomers were asking for forum or exchange about Linux on zSystems

           - Partners at IBM and Co Chair thought about new forum to fragment these users

           - Next year there is a conference, where to introduce that.

           - Mailing list is the wrong place for that. Berthold does not know, whether this WG is the correct place.

           - There is already a proposal for the new forum. Link: https://community.openmainframeproject.org/

               → Additional category: Linux 

  • Elizabeth has got less experience with forums. We need notifications about new threads.

    Anybody has to be active there.

    Berthold and others want to be active there. (discussed with Wilhelm Mild) 

    We can receive additional qualified people with Linux knowledge having an eye on all topics.

    Neil has got the idea with Discourse for receiving emails and exchange
  • Sarah is suggesting keeping up the mailing list for Developers and using Discourse/Forum for users.


  • Neil: Tries to get software zeek packaged on Fedora:

    https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/zeek/pull-request/1

  • openSUSE: Enablement of python-onnx for AI on Telum processors (within containers):

    https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1215337

8 August 2023

Recording: https://zoom.us/rec/share/oK4hckkDRynjLKFTS08F4QE3kaRB-Y8RoIGf5qxTYwjHnjYrZ0qRoRjtG1Hdqv4.yY3P0aYrZedShjO-

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • Daniel Horak (Fedora)

Agenda

20 June 2023

Recording: https://zoom.us/rec/share/bMxjLEHe_0sxpyjewuh4A1V82Q5WCuPGATMZM-1esUYXQAw5p1U4G889nKG9wIPH.dU3BkHc3gm3zKdFr

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM / Debian)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Vignesh (various upstream)
  • Daniel Horak (Fedora)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)

Agenda

  • Recording from openSUSE conference will be uploaded at the end of the month, about 20 people attended the presentation
  • Linux Distributions Collaboration on the Mainframe at Devconf.cz 2023 with about 15 participants, and good discussions https://devconfcz2023.sched.com/event/1MYmY
  • David suggested coming up with list of reasons why the mainframe is a compelling application developer target - why is it worth their effort? May seem like a niche target, but it has a huge impact. Also, technically interesting.
    • Vignesh shared that DragonflyDB is planning to start building for s390x, they shared that their vertically scaled application is a good fit for the mainframe
    • Vignesh himself had a technical interest in porting applications for startups
    • Lyz had a talk accepted to All Things Open and this may be a good slide to include
  • OMP CFP is open, Lyz & Sarah will brainstorm some ideas for a presentation https://www.openmainframeproject.org/event/open-mainframe-summit-cfp
  • openSUSE Leap 15.5 released, Sarah to do some release blogging
  • Debian 12 (bookworm) released with continued s390x support: https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/s390x/release-notes/
  • David is going to a Tezos/OCaml meetup in NYC tonight to maintain engagement with that community
  • Dan mentioned some issues with btrfs-progs which have now been fixed upstream: https://github.com/kdave/btrfs-progs/issues/639

16 May 2023

Attendees:

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)

Agenda:

11 April 2023

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Vignesh (Redpanda upstream)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Neil Hanlon (Rocky Linux)

Agenda:

14 February 2023

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Nikolay Gueorguiev (SUSE)
  • Louis Abel (Rocky Linux)

Agenda

10 January 2023

Attendees:

  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • Nikolay Gueorguiev (SUSE)
  • Louis Abel (Rocky Linux)
  • Daniel Horak (Fedora)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • Mark Post (SUSE)

Excused:

  • Elizabeth Joseph (IBM)

Agenda:

  • Interviews:
  • Sarah is accepted for a presentation in the distributions dev room at FOSDEM on Sunday, 5 February 2023, at 11:00 (Hybrid Conference).
  • qore is available for s390x again 
  • libcds/firebird: First time, that the build for s390x is successfully, but x86 not (there was a change in package dependencies): firebird build for openSUSE
  • x server (x application to x server): Changes required
    • It has to be handled on distro side instead of x86 (virtual graphic card)


    • perhaps long term solution with support for virtual gpu (Ulrich will ask)

  • frame pointer option enabling (already forwarded and approved with some changes)
  • Debian has got a new s390x Contributor

15 November 2022

Attendees

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Mark Post (SUSE)
  • Nikolay (SUSE)

Agenda

  • Administrative
    • Renewed for another year
    • Video interview later today with Sarah, Ulrich, Lyz
  • Red Hat release last week, Fedora this weeks
  • .NET 7 is now available, being worked on for RHEL, Fedora, Alpine, and Ubuntu
  • No news on the Debian side, just working through typical bugs
  • Welcome Nikolay from SUSE to the group, Mark is getting him up to speed.

10 October 2022

Attendees:

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Mark Post (SUSE)

Agenda:

12 September 2022

Attendees:

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • Louis Abel (Rocky Linux)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)

Agenda:

  • Lyz and Sarah are speaking at Open Mainframe Summit about the WG
    • Video will be public online in a couple months (registration is required, if anyone wants a discount code, contact Lyz)
  • Dipak asked if anyone has ideas of how to go about increasing using base
    • Dan shared that there are people hitting the s390x mirror, so there are users
    • openSUSE is doing that mentoring session at GHC and does other events to help promote

8 August 2022

Attendees:

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Mark Post (SLES)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • Neil Hanlon (Rocky Linux)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)

Agenda:

  • Events
  • Outstanding bugs/issues
    • openJDK 17 is integrated with openSUSE, but working to get Open J9 into releases (currently just in tumbleweed, not leap), who will support it now that Open J9 is open source (not a technical issue)? Ulrich will talk to Tomas.
    • Mentioned at a previous meeting, and fixed! https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8288128
  • Other business
    • Rocky Linux 9 is out, had some fixes to do but it’s going well
    • Debian is moving along, postgres workaround fix has been explored workaround created for openSUSE, but a real fix for llvm is in the works (hopefully for llvm 16) 
    • Fedora 37 is getting ready, no major changes to the toolchain so things are going well
    • SLES sp5 in the works, Rancher on zSystems release happened too
    • openSUSE zSystems folks will be at the Open Source Day at Grace Hopper in September!

13 June 2022

Attendees

  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • Ihno Krumreich (openSUSE)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Louis Abel (Rocky Linux)

Agenda:

9 May 2022

Attendees:

  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Rajendra Kharat (Debian)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Mark Post (SLES)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)

Agenda

11 April 2022

Attendees:

  • Sarah Kriesch (openSUSE)
  • Rajendra Kharat (Debian)
  • David Edelsohn (IBM)
  • Elizabeth K. Joseph (IBM)
  • Mark Post (SLES)
  • Ulrich Weigand (IBM)
  • Dipak Zope (Debian)
  • Dan Horak (Fedora)
  • Louis Abel (Rocky Linux)

Agenda

  • Alpine Linux, struggling with rustbuild (https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/tsc/-/issues/44), Ulrich and his toolchain team at IBM understand the situation, this is a known issue but wasn’t a priority until now. Tuan Hoang from IBM is a contact here and he is working on this. Someone will update the bug report.
  • Debian https://www.debian.org/News/2022/20220326
  • Debian needs continued support for their autopkgtest builder, they’re having I/O problems and Lyz will follow-up to make sure they have the right resources.
  • Welcome to Rocky Linux participant Lous Abel gave us a quick update - he said they started bootstrapping on the platform this past weekend.

14 March 2022

Attendees:

  • Sarah Kriesch
  • Rajendra Kharat
  • David Edelsohn
  • Elizabeth K. Joseph
  • Mark Post
  • Ulrich Weigand
  • Dipak Zope

Agenda:

#

# Processor type and features

#

CONFIG_HAVE_MARCH_Z900_FEATURES=y

CONFIG_MARCH_Z900=y

# CONFIG_MARCH_Z990 is not set

# CONFIG_MARCH_Z9_109 is not set

# CONFIG_MARCH_Z10 is not set

# CONFIG_MARCH_Z196 is not set

# CONFIG_MARCH_ZEC12 is not set

# CONFIG_MARCH_Z13 is not set

# CONFIG_MARCH_Z14 is not set

# CONFIG_MARCH_Z15 is not set

CONFIG_MARCH_Z900_TUNE=y

CONFIG_TUNE_DEFAULT=y

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z900 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z990 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z9_109 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z10 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z196 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_ZEC12 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z13 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z14 is not set

# CONFIG_TUNE_Z15 is not set

  • General discussion: Are there other goals we wish to see for this working group?
    • Group will consider and discuss at next meeting.

14 February 2022

Attendees:

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph
  • Sarah Kriesch
  • Mark Post
  • David Edelsohn
  • Frank Heimes
  • Ulrich Weigand
  • Dipak Zope

Agenda:

10 January 2022

Attendees:

  • Elizabeth K. Joseph
  • Sarah Kriesch
  • Ihno Krumreich
  • Divya Goswami
  • Rajendra Kharat
  • Ulrich Weigand
  • David Edelsohn
  • Dipak Zope

Agenda:

  • Welcome and Introductions
  • Any other business

Notes:

All project resources are listed at https://wiki.openmainframeproject.org/display/LinuxDistrosWG

Introductions

Fedora is invited - confirmed

Invite Alpine to collaborate

Sarah is presenting at FOSDEM on LoZ, she will email the list when the schedule is live

Debian folks are working on d-i issues, currently struggling with some disk utilities, trying to bypass the GPG signing in d-i for development, Elizabeth will put them in touch with the Ubuntu folks to see if they know

Sarah mentioned that openSUSE is working on an installer issue with packages getting installed, but after the restart it to finish the installer (bootloader, etc) there is a problem.

David mentioned a systemd crash problem on Fedora Rawhide (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1986176) - maybe related to the openSUSE problem? Sarah will look into their systemd situation.

  • No labels